Coqui Control / Volcano Glossary
- After Dark at the Park: an ongoing cultural and educational program at HVNP
- BEI: a store in Hilo that sells citric acid for coqui control
- CCC: Cooper Center Council
Cooper Center: a multi-purpose community center serving Volcano and environs
- Coquistador: a valiant volunteer who helps us all to have quiet nights in our community
- CPS: Crop Production Services, a store in Hilo that sells citric acid for coqui control
- CTAHR: College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources, part of the University of Hawai‘i System.
- DI: Deflation-inflation, a type of volcanic activity cycle
- DLNR: (Hawai'i) Department of Land and Natural Resources
- EPA: Environmental Protection Agency
Friends of Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park
- HDOA: Hawai‘i Department of Agriculture
- HEAR: Hawaiian Ecosystems at Risk
- HOIE: Hawaiian Orchid Isle Estates, a subdivision in the Volcano area
- HVNP: Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park
- HVO: Hawaiian Volcano Observatory
- KMC: Kilauea Military Camp, a military R&R facility within Volcanoes Park.
- MLE: Mauna Loa Estates, a subdivision in the Volcano area
- NHW: Neighborhood Watch
- Niaulani: The village campus of VAC
- RHE: Royal Hawaiian Estates, a subdivision in the Volcano area
- SSE: Slow slip event, an episode of volcanic fault slip occurring over a period of days rather than an abrupt
that might generate a significant earthquake
"TED is a nonprofit devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading. It started out (in 1984) as a conference bringing together people from three worlds: Technology,
Entertainment, Design. Since then its scope has become ever broader."
- TEDx / TEDxChange:
"Created in the spirit of TED’s mission, "ideas worth spreading," the TEDx program is designed to give communities, organizations and individuals the opportunity to stimulate dialogue through TED-like experiences at the local level."
- TEDxHiloChange: Hilo's TECxChange
- TEDxVolcano: Volcano's local TEDxChange
- UH: University of Hawai‘i
- Uluhe (aka "matted fern," "false Staghorn"): three different species of native ferns that are part of the understory that harbors coqui frogs
- USGS: United States Geological Survey, "Federal source for science about the Earth,
its natural and living resources, natural hazards, and the environment."
Volcano Art Center, a complex of galleries and educational programs with two campuses, one in the village and one within HVNP.
- VCA: Volcano Community Association
- VGCC: Volcano Golf & Country Club, a subdivision in the Volcano area
- VSAS: Volcano School of Arts and Science
- VSO: Volcano Skate Organization